ABOUT HANOVER HOMESTEAD AT SPRING CREEK JUNCTION
Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction is a beautiful, easy-to-escape ranch ready for its next owners to enjoy its year-round creeks, ever-present wildlife, ready-to-use infrastructure, sustainable lifestyle and well-appointed amenities.
Set against the dramatic backdrop of the South Moccasin Mountains, Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction spans 475± contiguous deeded acres with three possible building sites. The property features both Big Spring Creek and Cottonwood Creek, offering a natural habitat for brown trout, rainbow trout, waterfowl and wildlife and the perfect setting to enjoy numerous sustainable ranching and recreational opportunities.
Beautifully situated on a rock bluff overlooking Big Spring Creek, the owner’s residence is a newly remodeled, high end 3,500+ SF home with 4 beds, 3 baths and a gourmet kitchen. The home’s creek bend location provides exceptional views of the Judith Basin to the west, Moccasin Mountains to the north, and the Big and Little Snowy Mountains to the south. The ranch is conveniently located less than 10 minutes away on a good road to the warm and welcoming town of Lewistown, Montana, population 6,000+. This ranch is perfectly setup for a self-sufficient and independent working lifestyle.
- 475± deeded acres
- Bonus, 29-acre property now included with an additional building site and a view of Spring Creek Train trestle
- 0.8± miles of Big Spring Creek Frontage including, 0.6± miles of both sides
- 0.75± miles shoreline access on both sides of Cottonwood Creek
- Year-round living, located only 6± miles from Lewistown, MT
- Updated 3,500 sq ft. luxury home with 4 beds, 3 baths, and gourmet kitchen and detached garage
- 10-acre high-fenced ranch headquarters with barn, sheds, and fruit trees with plenty of fenced space for chickens, goats and gardens
- Fencing throughout the property, ready for horses and cattle
- High producing fields ready for production or lease
- Year-round fishing for brown and rainbow trout
- Wildlife throughout the property including upland birds, whitetail deer, mule deer and waterfowl
- Protected with a Conservation Easement with Ducks Unlimited through Wetlands America Trust to provide an enduring legacy but still allows for an additional home place – house and adjacent structures, if desired
- Opportunity to live sustainably and self sufficiently, thanks to gardening, hunting, fishing and livestock
- Any and all water and mineral rights owned by seller will convey at closing to buyer
Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction is a quick and easy 10 minute drive on paved roads to Lewistown, MT. Lewistown Municipal Airport can accommodate a wide variety of private aircrafts. The close proximity of the ranch allows you to enjoy time in solitude with your family on 475± private acres while still experiencing easy access to services and amenities.
Lewistown, MT has a population of 6,500 and is conveniently located within a 2 hour drive to Billings and Great Falls, MT and is a 2.5 hour drive from Bozeman,MT. The tree-lined streets of this small town contain a small town brewery, first-rate restaurants, an art center, the annual chokecherry festival, summer rodeos, trout hatchery, local trails, and coffee shops. It’s the quintessential Montana small town where locals smile and wave to strangers and neighbors alike.
Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction offers a central location to some of Montana’s best kept secrets. When you’re ready for a change of scenery, other nearby attractions include:
- Warm Springs, features 50,000 gallons per minute of warm water rising up from the earth and believed to be the world’s largest natural warm springs (30 minute drive)
- The Upper Missouri National Wild and Scenic River for canoeing and kayaking (an hour drive)
- The Slippery Ann Wildlife Viewing Area, known for observing the fall elk rut and bugling (an hour drive)
- The Big Snowy Mountains and Lewis and Clark National Forest’s Ice Caves Trail and its year-round ice caves (less than a 2 hour drive)
- Showdown Mountain, a family- friendly downhill ski area (less than a 2 hour drive)
- The Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument, more than 375,000 acres of biological, scientific, historic, wildlife, ecological, and cultural resources mixed that offers opportunities for uncommon solitude and recreational adventures
- Multiple attractions honoring world- renowned artist of the American West, Charles M. Russell, also known as
C.M. Russell: the Charlie Russell Chew Choo, a scenic, dinner train ride based outside of Lewistown; the C.M. Russell Museum in Great Falls; and the C.M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge
The main ranch headquarters encompasses 10 acres surrounded by a deer-high perimeter fence, and includes a high-end 3,500 SF home, 3 sheds, and a detached two-car garage.
The energy efficient and light- filled home contains large windows throughout with sweeping views of the Judith Basin. The 4 bedroom and 3 bathroom home includes a master suite and 3 guest bedrooms. On the main level, a gourmet kitchen offers panoramic views, two kitchen islands and features a Tulikivi soapstone fireplace with built-in pizza oven.
The home also includes a recreation room, office and exercise room with sauna. Three outdoor decks and a fire pit create an inviting outdoor space with excellent views. In addition to the home, the property includes a detached double car garage with a carport on either side for additional parking and storage.
Any and all water and mineral rights owned by the seller will convey at closing to the buyer.
Hanover Homstead at Spring Creek Junction features a 10-acre high-fenced headquarters complete with fruit trees, sheds, and space for a large garden protected from wildlife. This infrastructure is ready to use for any family that is interested in self-sufficient living.The balance of the ranch is cross fenced and boundary fenced into multiple pastures, adequate for cattle and horses alike.
Sustainable and Self-Sufficient Lifestyle: This property is an ideal setting for those who may be interested in a sustainable lifestyle but still want all of the modern amenities. With its fish-filled creeks, plentiful wildlife, ample room for livestock, fruit trees and high-fencing for gardening, bee keeping and more, Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction allows a family to live self sufficiently – with Lewistown less than 10 minutes away.
Conservation Easement: Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction is protected by a conservation easement with Ducks Unlimited through Wetlands America Trust. The conservation easement provides an enduring legacy but also allows for an additional home place – house and adjacent structures, if desired. Conservation easements keep land in private ownership while allowing a qualified land trust to achieve conservation goals such as ensuring water quality, fostering the growth of healthy forest, maintaining and improving wildlife habitats and ensuring that lands are managed so that they are always available for sustainable agriculture and forestry.
Big Spring Creek is one of Montana’s best-kept secrets. At 30 miles long, it is the largest spring creek in the state and the third-largest spring creek in the world. The creek originates from a first-magnitude artesian spring and runs through Central Montana passing through Lewistown before it makes its way through the Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction for nearly a mile. Big Spring Creek is on average 38 feet wide and 18 inches deep and provides 99.9% pure, ice cold water and is fishable year-round.
Big Spring Creek is located hours away from more popular rivers and streams, therefore it gets far less seasonal traffic than other fisheries. The creek runs through Lewistown and also in a channel underneath the town, providing fresh water supply. The waterway has long been a part of Montana’s history, used as a campground during the Nez Perce war in 1877, irrigation for Lewistown and power for a flour mill in the early 1900’s and host to a WPA trout hatchery in the 1930’s. Today, the creek is best known for trout fishing, with anglers landing rainbow trout up to 16 inches and brown trout up to 19 inches in the estimated 1,500 catch-able fish per mile.
Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction offers more than a mile and a half of creek footage, thanks to Big Spring Creek and Cottonwood Creek. Fishing, floating and recreating in the waters are immediately available with multiple access points on
the property. The ranch has 0.6 miles of Big Spring Creek riverbank access on both sides and 0.2 miles of single-side access. Riffles, runs and deep pools along this stretch make for varied and fun fishing and recreating.
The ranch also affords access to 0.75 miles of Cottonwood Creek before the two creeks merge. Cottonwood Creek fishes best in the spring and fall, and most years it can be fished all the way through summer’s hottest months.
The property’s diverse terrain provides ideal habitat for wildlife. Big Spring Creek and Cottonwood Creek meander their way through the property, creating a lush riparian corridor. Alfalfa hay bottoms mixed with scattered timber create a sustainable wildlife habitat. The ranch boasts huntable numbers of upland birds, including pheasants, Hungarian partridge, sharptail grouse and turkey. The extensive wetland complex also attracts huntable populations of waterfowl – heightened during the fall migration. Whitetail and mule deer are plentiful while trophy class bucks have been harvested on the ranch. Elk periodically pass through Hanover Homestead at Spring Creek Junction, and nearby areas offer exceptional elk hunting opportunities.